There are 10 easy ways to become happier in your job, and Dale Carnegie, author of How to Win Friends and Influence People, can help you learn them.
1. Become a more approachable person — Positive things happen to positive thinking people.
2. Give honest, sincere appreciation — Honest compliments urge cooperation and effort from others, which will translate to less daily stress.
3. Don’t criticize, condemn or complain — Criticizing the other person, not only damages their self-image, but puts a dent in your own.
4. Arouse in the other person an eager want — People do things for their own reasons, not yours. Tell them why your ideas will benefit them, and you’ll be surprised with how much cooperation you will receive.
5. Become genuinely interested in your co-workers — Regardless of the physical assets your company may have, it’s the people who make it successful, so take interest in those you work with.
6. Smile — Whether you’re happy in your job does not only depend on the situation, but also your attitude and behavior.
7. Remember a person’s name is the sweetest and most important sound in any language — Respect and acceptance can be earned from co-workers and clients, simply by remembering their name and using it whenever appropriate.
8. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves — Studies show that most people are not as good of listeners as they think they are. The more you know your co-workers, the better you will be able to communicate and make your life easier.
9. Talk in terms of the other person’s interest — In order to create a stronger relationship with co-workers, think of ways to help them, and they will help you in return.
10. Make the other person feel important, and do it sincerely — Each time you demonstrate to a co-worker that they are important, you are building a valuable office ally.